- SMART Money: SMART Money is a partnership between Philippines telecommunications company SMART, MasterCard and Banco De Oro, and was launched in December 2000. Users also obtain a physical MasterCard that can be used to make transactions and access ATMs/money machines. Only Smart mobile subscribers are eligible for Smart Money.
- Key facts and figures
- Network: SMART Money partners 12 banks, and 95,000 International Remittance partners worldwide
- Remittance market in Philippines: US$18 bn a year
- Target consumer: Local and overseas Filipinos, SMART mobile subscribers
- Reloadable electronic wallet: SMART Money is an electronic wallet that can be loaded in a variety of ways, both at a physical venue or electronically via remittances and bank account link. Loaded value is used when making payments and remittances.
- Mobile payment service: Through a SIM-loaded application on the mobile phone, SMART Money users can send and receive money domestically and internationally, and make a range of payments (e.g. bills, purchasing mobile airtime, etc.).
- SMART Money MasterCard: Allows users to make purchases at retail merchants via card, and to access ATMs of partnering banks (i.e. converting e-value into physical cash).
- One-time KYC: KYC is performed once when the SMART customer registers for the service – only a valid ID is required.
- Financial inclusion: SMART Money enables unbanked Filipinos to access electronic payment and remittance options.
- Convenience: Users are able to link SMART Money to their mobile number, enabling them to check on the account and make mobile transactions via their mobile phone.
How to Use
SMART subscribers can register for a SMART Money account via the SIM-loaded mobile application in 8 steps: